ZELLIGE, DEFINITION AND INSTALLATIONWe also offer pre-positioned soft ou rigid panels, which facilitate installation
Randomly mix tiles with different tones and textures (Colour 1019)
Use adhesive cement for ceramic tiles.
Apply on the wall and on the back of the Zellige tiles.
You can cut in an angle with a diamond disc.
Place by hand without leaving a joint.
Spread the liquid joint cement.
Insist on filling the spaces between tiles.
Remove excess cement by rubbing with a dry cloth.
Zellige are Moroccan tiles, crafted one by one from non-refined natural clay extracted in the region of Fez (Morocco). This clay is mixed and kneaded with water, moulded by hand, dried naturally and kiln-baked. The glazing (vitreous compounds and mineral pigments) is applied on the tiles, then melted/vitrified, resulting in multiple semi-transparent, metallic, pearlescent or opaque shades.
The essence of Zellige is the irregularity of surface appearance, tone, flatness, shine, depth and colour. Each Zellige tile is unique.
Glazed Zellige tiles are of easy maintenance, cleaned like any other glazed clay tile.
Download our Zellige Installation Tips (PDF)
Zellige Tile Installation
- Take the tiles out of the box and mix the different shades and tones of your chosen colours to create a random décor.
- The wall should be well prepared and levelled before placing the Zellige.
- Evenly apply flexible adhesive for ceramics on the surface and the back of the tile. Alternatively fix the Zellige with silicone.
- Position the tiles by hand, leaving no joint (edge to edge) without using tile spacers, looking for the harmony of the whole.
- Once the tile are placed, spread very liquid grout cement over the surface, with a rubber spatula, insisting on filling the spaces between the tiles.
- After a brief drying, carefully remove the excess cement with a damp sponge. Remove the remaining joint cement with a dry cloth carefully rubbing by hand.
- The Moroccan Zellige tiles are easily cut in an angle with a diamond disc and water.
- For surfaces in direct contact with water: Pools, showers, fountains, worktops, ensure the base surface is waterproof before installing the Zellige tiles.